Thursday, January 21, 2010

Alberta: Old and Uneducated

An EKOS poll on Canadian support for our political parties has the Conservatives and the Liberals in a virtual tie at 31.5% and 30.9% respectively. Who cares... the statistic that I found the most interesting is this:

'People in Alberta, Canadians 65 and older, and those with a high school education or less are more likely to believe the government is moving in the right direction.'

In other words, the poll found obvious trends in terms of beliefs based on education and demographics. The older you are, or the less educated you are, the more likely you are to believe that the government is doing the right thing. Except if you're Albertan, where we apparently have the same beliefs as the rest of the OLD and UNEDUCATED populace of Canada.

Take that as you will... but to me, it certainly doesn't seem like a good group to be lumped into - OLD (which one could perhaps equate to less forward thinking - no, NOT in Alberta?!), and UNEDUCATED (I'm being a bit harsh here as I agree you don't need a formal higher education to be smart, but you get the idea - and if you don't, well then I'm talking exactly about YOU).

I just read a quote on the notion of why being ignorant is blissful, which seems very fitting in this situation - David Dunning writes, "Not only do they reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the ability to realize it."

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I hear the hate-mailman coming...

-G

No comments:

Post a Comment