Sunday, September 28, 2014

Hi-fi vs. Lo-fi, Part I: The Brooklyn Bridge

A comparison of new vs. old, hi vs. lo -fi camera tech. This is the Brooklyn Bridge, shot at 2:00am from the East River Bikeway, exposed for 15 seconds. The Fuji X-T1 version has those beautiful star shapes in the lights. And of course, a hugely malleable range of tones to manipulate in post. And it's pretty sharp, considering my wobbly tripod. But the Holga version has it's own feel and aesthetic that I love as well, despite being a $27 all plastic piece of crap. Which version do you prefer? Personally, I love the film version more. It's gritty, grainy, and has imperfections that mirror our own lives. But that could just be the hipster in me talking. Excuse me while I put on some skinny jeans and a paisley button up shirt with faux leather elbow patches.

The Bridge - Digital
Fuji X-T1, Rokinon 12mm f/2.0.

The Bridge - Analog
Holga 120N, on Kodak Tri-X 400. Developed in Rodinal 1:25 for 7:00min at 68 deg. F.

I wanted to do a few more comparisons, but need to run and catch another flick at the Calgary Film Fest. More to come this week. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment