Sunday, March 30, 2014

Photographing The Pupils - A New Personal Portrait Series

I'm starting a new portrait series entitled 'Photographing the Pupils.' These are some students of mine in a DSLR course I just finished teaching, and they graciously sat for an impromptu portrait session for me. There are a few more student portraits, but they're on an as yet unfinished roll. It's a bit ironic that I spent 12 hours teaching them to use their DSLRs, but then photographed them using an all manual, unmetered analog camera (Rolleiflex, in this case) on b&w film, which I then developed at home. Old school meets new school. Originally, I was going to call this portrait series 'Shooting the Students', but that had some bad connotations.

In my haste to shoot this set during a class break, I made numerous errors in light positioning, and harsh control of shadows. Perfect portraits these are not. Sorry, my pupil guinea pigs! My fault. Next round will definitely be better.

The portraits as a set:
Photographing the Pupils

The portraits viewed individually:
Photographing the Pupils - Susie

Photographing the Pupils - Maxine

Photographing the Pupils - Jay

Photographing the Pupils - Rachel

Photographing the Pupils - Steve

Photographing the Pupils - Graham

For the camera nerds: Taken with a Rolleiflex 2.8E on Fuji Neopan 400. Developed in Ilfosol 3, 1+9 at 68 deg. F for 8 min (that's pushed about a half stop, which may have contributed to the blocky shadows...?)

No comments:

Post a Comment