Sunday, January 13, 2013

Back from 'Nam

We're back from our month long jaunt to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Korea - and only one of us got traveller's diarrhea. YAY! Except, it was me. So BOO! Anyways, it may be a case of exhaustion, but I can't seem to conjure up any words to convey the feelings and adventures we went through on this journey to my parent's birthplace. I also feel overwhelmed when looking through the 50+ gigs and 17 rolls of film that I shot while over there, that I can't even select a starting point with which to share with you guys. Hopefully in the next few days, I'll get that inspiration, and open the floodgates.

In the meantime, I wanted to share two quick photos with you. The first is one of my absolute favourites from this trip. It's a candid street shot of an older gentleman, having a smoke on a footstool in the old quarter in Hanoi. For me, what makes the photo remarkable is that I was literally in his face, and shot it without him even noticing I had a camera pointed at him from 2 feet away. Street photography is a genre that I haven't done much exploration of, so to capture a natural candid moment like this incognito feels so rewarding.

This is Hanoi

The second photo is pretty much the complete opposite. I bought a Leica M6 while I was in Seoul, Korea, and this was one of my first shots I took with it. The camera is fully manual (focus and exposure), and in my haste to get a shot off before the moment was gone, I completely and utterly failed to properly focus on the dude. I just can't get over how awesome this photo would've turned out had I nailed the focus. Sigh.

OOF

To end off this first entry of 2013, I wanted to say a belated Happy New Year to you all. Looking forward to catching up with everybody soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment