Sunday, November 1, 2009

Holga: RIP, Resurrection

Howdy folks! It's been a few days since I've written anything. Lots of stuff has happened, but either I've been busy or just didn't have the words to tell any kind of meaningful story. Apologies.

Anyways, I was in Ottawa last week, and while out on a photowalk, my beloved Holga slipped out of my hands and I watched in horror as it pounded into concrete with a devastating THUNK! When I picked it up to inspect the damage, I noted that the entire lens housing/ assembly no longer turned, and focus was now locked at 1m. Much sadness... I tried in vain to twist the lens back into form, but eventually came to accept that this $27 hunk of plastic goodness was finished as a camera. RIP. She had given me 2 solid years of use, and together we'd had many adventures together. But it was time to retire and replace her.

I bought a new white Holga 120N on Friday for $56, and played around with the lens housing to see how it worked. It turned in and out, and I realized that maybe my old one wasn't broken, but possibly just jammed. Sure enough, I took some scissors to the housing, and with sheer brute force, popped the lens assembly back out, and voila! Holga Resurrection! And then there were two...

Below are some Holgarama shots of the Center Street Bridge in Calgary - taken with the old Holga a few days prior to the accident. I haven't quite figured out how many turns of the winding knob it takes to do proper overlaps, but am working on it. Click to enlarge.








Ciao for now!
-G

No comments:

Post a Comment